Civil cases involve claims by one party or individual against another for wrongs committed or damages done.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Civil Case?

A civil case is a lawsuit in which one party sues another party. Civil matters include small claims, civil matters, conservatorships, probate, family law, adoption, and juvenile compromises.

A civil case can be filed by a party to:

  1. Enforce a contract or agreement
  2. Collect damages to their person or property
  3. Recover money or property
  4. Protect a civil right

What is the difference between Limited and Unlimited Civil Cases?

Generally, civil lawsuits are divided into three categories, which are based on the amount of money involved in the lawsuit. Examples of cases that are generally excluded from this are unlawful detainer, juvenile, civil harassment, probate, and family matters. When the dollar amount is under $10,000, it is usually referred to as a Small Claims case. When the dollar amount is less than or equal to $25,000, it is referred to as a limited jurisdiction civil case. When the dollar amount exceeds $25,000, it is referred to as an unlimited jurisdiction civil case. Where can I get help with my civil case? The court staff is available to provide assistance.

Please contact our Self Help Facilitator, Wendy Dier, at (530) 233-2008 for further assistance.

How do I file documents?

  1. Please make sure all documents are signed and dated.
  2. You will need to file with the clerk the original set of documents that are organized, two hole punched, and stapled, along with the appropriate number of copies.
  3. Please be sure all copies of documents are organized and stapled. The clerk cannot accept copies that are not organized and stapled.
  4. Please check the Statewide Civil Fee Schedule to be sure you have included the proper filing fees or an Application for Waiver of Court Fees and Costs.

Can I fax documents for filing?

Yes, you can file documents via fax at the rate of $1.00 per page. The Court still requires the original signature, so original documents together with the appropriate number of copies must be mailed or brought by the court along with the fax filing fee.

What if I cannot afford to pay the filing fee?

Fee Waivers are available for qualifying individuals. Please review the Information Sheet on Waiver of Court Fees and Costs for eligibility guidelines. Does the court provide interpreters? Yes, please contact the Civil Division at (530) 233-6516 ext. 1212 for assistance.

Does the Court provide interpreters?

Yes, please contact the Language Access Representative at (530) 233-6516 ext. 1208 for assistance.

Can I get copies from a case file?

Yes, you can request copies through the clerk’s office, either in person or by mail. The average response time is one week from the date the court receives your request.

If you request copies by mail, please include specific information on what it is that you need, the case number, case name, and payment. Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope to receive copies through the mail. Copies are $0.50 per page (double-sided sheet equals 2 pages).

If you need a document certified, the cost is $25.00 in addition to the per copy fee. Payment may be made by check, cash or money order.

When is the Law and Motion calendar heard?

The law and motion calendar is generally heard every Monday at 10:00 am. Please call the Civil Division at (530) 233-6516 ext. 1212 for additional information.

What if I cannot appear in person?

You can make arrangements through Court Call at 1-888-88COURT (1- 888-882-6878) to make an appearance by phone. Telephonic appearances begin every Monday at 11:00 am.