Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Financial Hardship and Ability to Pay Your Fine

If you cannot pay the full amount of a fine for an infraction offense (including most traffic tickets), you may ask the Court to reduce the amount you owe based on your ability to pay. You must show proof that you do not have the financial means to pay your fine. You may also ask the Court if you can perform community service, establish a payment plan, or extend the time you need to comply with a court order. You may ask the Court to consider your ability to pay at any point in the process, but you must enter a plea of guilty or no contest before the Court can give you an answer.

The easiest way to request a fine reduction is to use the Court’s new online request tool (does not work in Internet Explorer).

My Citation

If you cannot use the online tool, you may use the forms below to provide information that should be considered in connection with your request.

  • TR-320/CR320  - Can't Afford to Pay Fine: Traffic and Other Infractions

Please note that the Court may add an additional fee of $300 to cases where the fine is delinquent. Court users will receive a couple of notifications before the additional fee is added so that they may take action to avoid the imposition of the additional fee. Court users are advised to take immediate action when they receive a notice to avoid additional fees.

There are several ways to avoid additional fees including requesting an ability to pay determination if you cannot afford the original fine amount, asking to perform community service hours in place of the fine, asking for an extension of time to pay or complete community services, and/or asking to make installment payments. Installment payments may be as low as $25 per month.  Please contact the clerk’s office at (530) 233-6516 ext. 1213 or by sending an email to if you have questions.

Forms need to be filed with the  Clerk’s Office at 205 S. East Street Alturas CA either in person or by mail.

If your case is currently in collections and you cannot afford to pay your debt, you may use the link to for the online tool listed in the previous section. You cannot use the online tool for misdemeanor cases and must submit the above forms to the Clerk’s office.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.