Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


Traffic Citations

If your citation is for a misdemeanor violation and/or indicates a mandatory appearance, you must appear at the Superior Court by 2:00 PM on your appearance date shown on the bottom of your traffic ticket.

Failure to Appear

If you fail to appear or pay your traffic ticket by your appearance date, the court will take one or more of the following actions:

  • Issue a warrant for your arrest
  • Notify the DMV to hold, or refuse to renew, your driving privileges
  • Impose a civil assessment of $300.00
  • Refer your case to a private collection agency 

Proof Of Correction Driver's license, insurance, vehicle registration, and mechanical violations will be dismissed by the court if proof of correction (POC) along with the POC FEE is presented to the court by mail or in person by the due date. Proof of correction for equipment violations can be obtained by having a law enforcement officer sign off your copy of the citation. A clerk may certify insurance violations at the court. Driver's license and registration violations may be presented at an office of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or presented to the court.

Frequently Asked Questions

A courtesy notice will be sent to the address listed on your ticket. The notice will state the amount you owe (bail), whether or not a court appearance is required and the date by which you must take care of your ticket.

If you have not received a notice five days prior to the appearance date at the bottom of your ticket, please call the traffic division at (530) 233-6516 ext. 1213.

If you received a ticket for a mechanical violation, you may be able to pay a reduced amount if the mechanical problem is fixed. The notice will show a reduced amount if that applies.

If you wish to plead not guilty by mail, you must either:

  1. Schedule a court trial date, or
  2. Request a trial by declaration and you will be required to post bail. 

If you are charged with an infraction, you may plead not guilty and request a trial by declaration by sending the total bail amount to the court five days prior to the appearance date. You must call the court requesting a trial by declaration at (530) 233-6516 ext. 1213. The clerk will mail declaration forms to you. You will not have to appear in court and your bail will be held in a trust account until your case is decided.

If you wish to plead not guilty in person, you must call the court at (530) 233-6516 ext. 1213 before your appearance date at the bottom of your ticket.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.